dinsdag 16 december 2008

Printing Compositions- The shadow

The first image I printed was the one in which Abbie is hiding under a table, looking at the wall where there is a shadow of a hand. When looking at the negatives, I thought it would be a very nice picture to print with the theme of claustrophobia because it seems like a terror kind of scene. When I saw this image on my negatives I thought it would turn out very well since on the negatives its contrast was very good, and it did not seem like it was out of focus. However, the teacher did tell me that it looked like it was out of focus. When I decided to print this picture anyways, I saw that the subject, Abbie, was indeed out of focus. However, one of the table legs is clearly in focus. I have been seeing that some of my pictures have only one spot in focus and the rest is not in focus, which I find rather odd, since I believe that when taking pictures, I tend to firstly focus the faces of the people, and then move into the picture’s position. This is something I will need to pay more attention to when taking future pictures. It was also very easy to print since it has the exact same settings as my negatives do. Its settings are 75 seconds, at 2.8 aperture, and no filter. This was very handy and fast for me to find.


This picture, just like all the others for this project is supposed to have a sense of claustrophobia in it. Often when we watch a scary movie, the shadows that are shown scare us. This is the kind of feeling the picture is trying to give us. Abbie’s face is also the main key for this image because she is staring at the reflection of the hand on the wall, looking frightened. However, the shadow is therefore a very important part of this picture. The way, in which I managed to put the shadow of the hand in this picture, was by using photo shoot lamps, and having Marte put her hand in order for the shadow to occur. I personally really like this picture, because of the claustrophobic affect is has. Abbie’s face is what determines the claustrophobic effect of this picture because she is truly frightened by this shadow, which she doesn’t truly know what or who it is.

Geen opmerkingen: